Now, you might be wondering why this publisher is promoting other systems on their blog. Easy. Each game offers a unique experience, and there's room for all sorts of fun! Other publishers are not competitors, and the day we start thinking that way is the day we've abandoned our finest intuitions.
So here's our Eight Points for Holmes as a complete game:
(1) All characters begin with maximum hit points at 1st level and roll randomly (by class) from 2nd level on.
(2) Should a character die in combat, they permanently lose one level and drop to 1d4 hit points, although these can be subsequently healed (obviously, not beyond their new level). This represents a serious mortal wound that diminishes the character and reduces their future performance, where applicable.
(3) Any 1st level character who dies is slain...
(4) Characters who lose levels might gain them back through the acquisition of new experience, and this represents the slow process of recovery (and probably a cool scar to show off).
(5) Clerics add +1 per level to all turning attempts, and a 3rd level character can turn mummies and up on a roll of 12 without any bonuses except those from magic items.
(6) Clerics, elves, and magic users acquire spells on the following, noting that in the absence of levels beyond 3rd, elves simply must be better balanced against human spell casters:
(7) Fighters add +1 to all melee attacks...
(8) Thieves add +25% to all thieving attempts, with additional bonuses for dexterity: 13 or better (+5%), 15 or better (+10%), and any score of 18 (+15%). This helps keep them relevant.
OPTIONAL: Monsters get a four-sided hit die, except for dragons, introducing other, higher-level fare.
More than anything, this preserves the low-level feel of Holmes, which is doubtless a major part of its charm. Is it complete or flawless? Certainly not! But it's a start, and we fully trust that you, our readers, will have ideas of your own, so keep 'em coming and help keep the Holmes flag flying. Better still, actually play the game and have fun. This is what our hobby is all about!