Being in the Main the Mouth of Olde House Rules

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Olde House Rules: It's an OSR Thing...

I love the OSR and Robyn appreciates fantasy period.  That's why we dabble in game design.  But in six years of publishing (has it really been that long), we've never tackled that which is my personal favorite: old-school Dungeons & Dragons.  Of course we love what we've published so far.  Can a parent truly hate their child?  But it's also been plenty of work - and work that feels like work and not like fun.  I'm ready for this to be fun again.

At my heart I'm a Dungeon Master, writing adventures like I did in the 1980s.  D&D was my medium, and it provided the raw materials needed to create entire worlds of fantasy, complete with interesting people, places, and things.  Rules are great; but I'm a little weary of writing raw materials for others to enjoy (although we love everyone), and thus our newest child was conceived:

It's an OSR Thing is a line of published adventures designed (very broadly) for games in the OSR and meant to be inserted into an existing campaign.  Our first release is scheduled for sometime in early 2020, the first of many more.  In the meantime, here's a look at the introductory pages that will be part of each release.  We're pretty excited about what we're making here, precisely because it's fun, not to mention narratively challenging.  But we're also becoming more comfortable with our tools, with consequences for our other titles, although that's still a ways off.  We're taking the holidays off and won't be back until after the new year.  Be safe; enjoy the season.  We'll return in full force because, hey - it's an OSR thing...

9 comments:

  1. Best to you and yours, and a happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I’ve always enjoyed your adventures. You know I’m a fan of Pits and Perils the rules but it was in the basement series that you really expressed the potential.

    I look forward to your OSR adventures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, awesome! I'm looking forward to your OSR things, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent news, enjoy the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. zzwow is a professional gaming currency website where you can buy the cheapest WOW Classic Gold

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year! I hope that you and yours are well. You may (or may not) remember me from the G+ days. I love your stuff, especially the Barons of Braunstein / Blood of of Pangea rules. I'll be interested to see what you can do with oD&D modules (which could of course be converted to another minimalist ruleset by any enterprising soul).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the copy of your latest module! I'm looking forward to giving it a look.

    ReplyDelete