Being in the Main the Mouth of Olde House Rules

Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Lead Age: Tom Meier's Elves...

I've professed my love (indeed, preference) for Dungeon Dwellers and Grenadier for their delightfully amateur aesthetic. But here's the part where yours truly confesses a tawdry affair with Ral Partha's excellent line of realistic (then and now) figures by Tom Meier. It was the storied 1980s; and being your typical young person, I appreciated beauty. My devotion to the amateur was already fermenting, but boy did I love the cool factor...

Take the Tom Meier's high elves. From the curly locks to pointy shoes (not to mention the folds of his adventuring cloak), this rendition really sticks the landing; and while its technical precision is clear, it also captures that vital something that nails elvenkind befitting one of Meier's artistic pedigree. This guy represented Elvor, an 80s rebirth of my 1970s character, resurrected for a return engagement in the MTV decade. Thank you, Tom.

Precision aside, I really appreciate the medieval authenticity. Pointy shoes are medieval, but also wedded to the later folklore of elves. Modern depictions vary, but all too often devolve into overdone, half-dressed, and/or donkey eared. There's no wrong way to do fantasy, and I mean no offense here; but it's nice to see miniatures bow to the mediveal/folkloric origin of tabletop's most valuable players, although that's just my preference...  

Meier continued to work in and out of gaming circles, founding Thunderbolt Mountain Miniatures and doing commissions. I've seen his hand in those delightful figurines (pewter, mostly) you'll sometimes see at flea markets. Anyway, his gorgeous depictions hold up alongside anything currently available. These days we enjoy a wealth of miniature options; but gaming's Lead Age was special due to the variety of its traditional creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment